vendredi 28 septembre 2012

φιλία - friendship

Dear reader,
Today I've talked to a handful of people about life, and philosophical topics. You know that feeling when you want to have a conversation about deep subjects with friends who share the same level of maturity as you. I would like to dedicate this blog to these persons with whom I've had real talk, you guys recognize yourselves. I could mention loads of ideas and thoughts that have been shared this day, but there's this particular topic which caught my attention. It's the concept of friendship. What is friendship? A celebrated greek philosopher by the name of Aristotle once said:
"What is a friend? A single soul, dwelling in two bodies"
 People, especially in our society today, tend to forget that the word friendship is not just a simple concept or idea we live with everyday. It's something profoundSomething that goes through our very soul. I've known people, and I still know some, who think that one is rich in friends when he has a lot in numbers. But I don't think likewise. In my humble opinion, you are rich in friendship not by the total number of friends you have, but by the ones who are firm and stand strong with you. It could be a very poor number of persons, but as I always say, it's not about the quantity, but rather about the quality. You could have loads and tons of so-called "friends" anywhere, but ask yourself : are they really people you will run to in your darkest hours? Will they be the ones to help you in times of need and will they stand by you, at all cost? 

You know I've met a lot of people in my life, and I'm pretty much sure I will still meet more. There are some persons, I've felt like I've known them all my life, and throughout the years, I got to know their ways and attitudes, just like the palm of my hand. But surprisingly, it turns out to be, I didn't even have a clue who they were at all, and shocked me with their real being and identity. It's almost like a slap you get on the face, and you wake up from an illusion you've seen for so long. Sad.  On the other hand, I've met people, not so long ago, maybe a few years ago, and they turn out to be people who aren't scared to show who they really are. They aren't afraid to uncover the mask each and every one of us wears. And they are the ones with whom you can have a real friendship, because there's nothing to hide. Some people say that a friendship is real when it's tested by time. But I object. Time is just a concept. A friendship is real by it's sincerity, honesty, and trust. When you meet someone, you will know by the sincerity, honesty and trust that is gently  being established if the friendship is going to be real or not. Because when you meet someone, it's not just two physical bodies that meet, but two souls that collide and beautifully form one. And as the great and much respected Aristotle said, "a friend is a single soul dwelling in two bodies". The thesis is as it is. 

Do not take your friends for granted. Cherish every moment you spend with them. Reminisce in the times you've shared, for they are presents you will keep forever. Never forget what they stand for in your life, because they won't forget you back when in need. Everything must flow in a reciprocative manner. What you give is what you get. It's okay not to have a lot, but keep a handful of friends you know you can trust and hold on to. Keep them in the very bottom of your heart, and hold them right in the palm of your hand.

Ah! Friendship is one vast subject we could discuss long term. But for the time being, I will stop here and put a suspension point. With all certitude, this topic is to be continued...

Yours truly,
J. Powers 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire